With its beautiful climate and close proximity to many of Arizona’s major attractions, tourism is a major economic engine in Flagstaff.
Flagstaff also has several manufacturing plants, such as Nestlé Purina PetCare, Joy Cone and SCA Tissue. Walgreens has a major distribution center here, and there are several major retailers as well. A large economic backbone of the area is its small businesses, those with less than 10 employees.
But the city is also quickly emerging as one of the major hubs for science-related industry. Flagstaff is the home of the following:
- W.L. Gore, a large medical device manufacturer.
- Machine Solutions Inc., which makes catheter and stent testing equipment.
- Prent Thermoforming, which designs and manufactures custom plastic, rigid thermoform packaging for the medical device industry.
- Translational Genomics Research Institute Flagstaff office, or TGen North, is the heart of TGen’s Pathogen Genomics Division, led by Dr. Paul Keim, one of the world’s foremost experts in anthrax and other dangerous infectious diseases.
- SenesTech, Inc. a platform biotechnology company specializing in reproductive physiology.
- Southwest Windpower, a manufacturer of residential wind turbines.
FLAGSTAFF MAJOR EMPLOYERS:
|Employer||Number of Employees
|Northern Arizona University||2,571|
|Flagstaff Medical Center||2,200|
|Flagstaff Unified School District||1,375|
|City of Flagstaff||657|
|Walgreens Distribution Center||407|
|Nestle Purina PetCare||240|
|The Guidance Center||219|
|US Forest Service||200|
|Coconino Community College||189|
|North Country HealthCare||188|
|Peaks Senior Living Center||140|
|Radisson Woodlands Hotel||120|
|Little America Hotel||110|